Grandma's Sweet and Sour (non) Pork Chop - Home Style
Ingredients: 6 pieces (about 1.5 to 2 lbs, .5" thick) of seitan
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar (or 2 T stevia)
pinch of salt
2 T tomato ketchup
1. Mix water and vinegar and soy sauce, stevia/sugar, and ketchup thoroughly.
2. Sprinkle a little salt on each piece of seitan and brown in a small amount of oil over medium heat
3. Add mixture prepared in (1) and simmer until savory and tender
Grandma's Cucumber Salad
Ingredients: 2 or 3 medium sized cucumbers
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 T sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1. Peel cucumbers, cut into sections and scoop out seeds and soft portion. Slice into thin (1/8") slices.
2. In a container, mix cucumbers and salt. Shake and set aside 30 minutes.
3. Add sugar and vinegar and stir to mix. Drain excess water and put cucumbers on a plate.
4. Heat oil to hot. Pour oil on top of cucumbers and enjoy!
Then two of my veggie dinner stand-in favorites:
Vanilla Amaranth with peach Compote
*Amaranth can be hard to find. I substitute quinoa and it is delicious.*
Directions: 1. Heat 2 T coconut oil in medium saucepan over medium heat
2. Add 1 cup uncooked amaranth
3. Cook 2 minutes
4. Stir in 2 cups coconut or flax milk, a dash of salt and half a vanilla bean, split lengthwise.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove vanilla bean.
8. Combine 3/4 lb fresh or frozen peaches, 1/4 cup water, 1/8 t cinnamon, and a dash of ginger in a saucepan over medium heat.
9. Bring to a boil.
10. Simmer 12 minutes, or until peaches are thick and tender. Serve over the amaranth.
Chickpea Rosemary Crepes
1. Combine 3/4 cup chickpea flour. 3 T brown rice or spelt flour, 2 t rosemary, 1 t grated lemon rind, 1/4 t salt and 1/8 t baking soda in a big bowl. Add 3/4 cup water, 2 T oil, 2 eggs, whisk and let stand 30 minutes.
2. While that's waiting, make the filling by combining 1 can chickpeas, 1 t flax or coconut milk, 2 t olive oil, 2 t lemon juice, 1/4 t pepper, a dash of salt, and 2 t goat cheese (optional - not for vegans) in a food processor until smooth.
3. Toss 1/4 cup diced yellow pepper and 1/4 cup diced red pepper and 1/4 cup diced orange bell pepper with 2 T diced onion, 1 t olive oil, 1/2 t balsamic vinegar, 1/4 t kosher salt, and 1/4 t black pepper.
Put It All Together:
4. Heat oil in a saucepan and pour in some crepe batter. Cook like thin pancakes, place the crepes on a warm towel.
5. Spread 1 heaping T of filling in the center of each crepe, roll it up and top with the relish. Viola! Delicious!